initial teacher training (ITT)

Becoming a teacher in the UK

If you’re considering teaching in a UK state school, you’ll need to have a degree, and a recognised teaching qualification. Initial Teacher Education or Training (ITET) programmes across the UK are broadly similar, providing a combination of academic study and time in school, as you learn about key teaching methods. However, the routes, entry requirements, and statutory teaching standards are different depending on where in the UK you plan to train, and ultimately, teach. You can apply through UCAS for the main postgraduate and undergraduate teacher training programmes in England, Wales, and Scotland.​

Becoming a teacher in England

To teach in a state school in England, you must have a degree, and gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) by following a programme of Initial Teacher Training (ITT). You must have achieved minimum requirements in GCSE English and maths, and GCSE science if you wish to teach at primary-level. You’ll also need to pass the professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy before you begin your teacher training. You can teach in independent schools, academies, and free schools in England without QTS, but it’s a definite advantage to have it.

Link: Routes into teaching in England